Sunday, September 21, 2008

World Alzheimer's Day

Today is World Alzheimer's Day and Cammie (she's over in my blog roll) has a PHENOMENAL blog candy going right now - it's bigger than any I've seen offered. You really have to see it to believe it - and trust me, you'll want to enter!

My grandmother has Dementia, which is pretty close to Alzheimer's. It's hard to handle - even from a distance (I live about a 14 hour drive away from my grandparents.) When I went to visit them in July - we were having a reunion - it was if the Grandma I had always known had disappeared. Thankfully she still has my grandfather to take care of her.

So I made a card for him in thanks for all he has to do.

I made a gatefold card with a piece of Pure Poppy cardstock from Papertrey. it's such a rich red - I'm in love. My main image is the oak tree from SU's Lovely as a Tree and the sentiment is from SU's Much Appreciated. The tree is stamped in PTI's Dark Chocolate and the sentiment is stamped in Pure Poppy. The tree is sponged with Pure Poppy and Dark Chocolate - the edges of the panel are sponged with Dark Chocolate as well.

The background is a stamped with SU's Print Pattern in Versamark and embossed with Winter White ep. I then sponged Tea Dye and Vintage Photo Distress Inks over the piece to enhance the pattern. The card is held closed by Basic Grey magnets.

Stamps: SU - Lovely as a Tree, Much Appreciated, Print Pattern. Paper: Very Vanilla, Pure Poppy, Dark Chocolate. Ink: Pure Poppy, Dark Chocolate, Versamark, Tea Dye Distress Ink, Vintage Photo Distress Ink. Accessories: sponge, brads, white ep, tacky tape, Basic Grey magnets.

The other card I'm showing today is for a friend of mine from church who just lost her husband. I just got Quilter's Sampler and Quilter's Sampler Sentiments from Papertrey earlier this week. I wanted to use this to make a card for her. The quilt blocks are stamped in Palette Noir and colored in with Prismacolor pencils and baby oil. I added some Frosted Lace Stickles to add some sparkle. The loops of ribbon are stapled onto the bottom layer behind the quilt. The sentiment is stamped in Lavender Moon ink.

Stamps: PTI - Quilter's Sampler and Quilter's Sampler Sentiments. Paper: Sweet Blush, Lavender Moon, Plum Pudding, Select White. Ink: Palette Noir, Lavender Moon. Accessories: stapler, prismacolor pencils, baby oil, dimensionals, ribbon, stickles.

Hoping for a smooth week ahead,

No comments: